Friday 13 May 2016

Homeward Bound

Wednesday 4th May
On my way back at the end of my long holiday. It feels about the right time, even if I didn’t get to Cuba. Looking forward to seeing family and friends again. After breakfast, checked out and a short walk to the bus station where I boarded a big comfortable bus to Calama. Only 100 km along a good road through the desert. Outside Calama there is a big solar farm and a wind farm before we hit the outskirts of the town itself which is bigger than I had expected with medium  rise condominiums, shopping malls, hotels, including a Hilton Doubletree, and a big railway marshalling yard, although no sign of any passenger service. When we arrive at the bus station there's no sign of any airport bus service so get taxi to the airport for 8000 pesos. Cup of coffee and cheesecake since too early to check in.
About two hour flight to Santiago flying over a huge expanse of brown desert for about an hour before clouds obscured the view. On arrival not too long to wait for my bag and short walk past dozens of taxi touts across the road to the Holiday Inn where check-in was quick and efficient. Big room, definitely luxurious by last week or so’s standards but I thought only providing one coffee bag and no creamer was a bit mean. Had a good if expensive dinner in the hotel restaurant (19580 pesos).

Somewhere over Chile


Thursday 5th May
Early start, checking in at 6.15 for 8.15 LAN flight to Sao Paulo. The flight itself was good on a new Boeing 787 with an empty seat next to me. Watched Revenent, a dark tale of harsh life and death in the American West in the 1820's. When we landed there was some problem in getting to the gate so had about 20 minute wait before getting off and then having a bus tour of the airport. 
Had a burger and a beer in one of the eateries in the departure lounge (47.30 Reals) and fell in love at the gate. Went to the gate desk in the not very optimistic hope that I could get my seat switched from a middle to an aisle, when the beautiful young woman on duty, with an absolutely straight face said "I'm sorry, I have worse news for you." And then after pausing  “You have been upgraded to Business Class" and proceeded to print out a new boarding pass.


So it was a happy traveller that arrived at Heathrow to be greeted by May sunshine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment